Monday, November 24, 2008

Please, No Sex in the Trenches


I had an especially great Monday. Not only did I sleep in, I didn't go to my last two classes, as I went to see Passchendaele with my History class instead.
I went into the movie with pretty low expectations. Despite the fact that it stars Paul Gross (we'll discuss him later), the movie has been plagued with relatively negative reviews and little publicity. I'm also not much of a 'war movie person'. Hell, I've never even seen Saving Private Ryan.
All things considered, I was impressed. The movie was solid in almost every way- it was well edited, acted and shot. In fact, Passchendaele's best feature was it's cinematography. The most was made of rural Alberta's landscape, and the greys of Passchendaele were never redundant.
While the storyline was not always captivating, and the ending a tad disappointing, it was still interesting enough to hold everyone's attention for two hours. I have absolutely no idea why the most common complaint about the movie was it's length; the last thing I would label this movie as is "too long".

And my god, Paul Gross. Really, I would pay to watch this man read the phone book.

No comments: