Sunday, July 26, 2009

to what end?



Last night I sat down to watch The Draughtsman's Contract (on my new teevee, hurrah!), and I was absolutely floored. Beautifully shot, well acted and accompanied by a fantastic score, I really wasn't expecting so much from what seemed to be so little. Period pieces often get a bad rap, for being long and unwieldly, and oh, incredibly boring. Not only was The Draughtman's Contract very well paced, the dialogue was suitable to the setting (1694) but still accessible and interesting, and the cinematography! My fricken god, it was beautiful. The intricate costumes, combined with beautiful scenery and more than a few candle-lit scenes; it was a joy to watch.This is only the second Peter Greenaway film that I've seen, and I'm now determined to see more of his work. Though it may sound strange, the way that he's able to work sex and sexuality into his art is fascinating, and I would recommend his work to anyone interested in art cinema.
In less interesting news, work was mediocre, and the only thing worth mentioning about today is that we had another monsoon-like storm. I really don't mind all of the rain that we've been getting recently, though warmer weather would be more than welcome.
I've found someone to drag along to hot yoga, so I'm hoping to go tomorrow night, maybe wednesday if tomorrow is a no go. Right now they have a "Look Great Naked" special (two weeks of unlimited classes for $30!), so I'll probably opt for that. And if the special gives the results it advertises, well then, mission accomplished. I'm also planning on picking up some film tomorrow from the lab, which I haven't been able to afford lately. It'll be interesting to see more pictures from Europe, as I feel like I've forgotten half of the trip already.
Speaking of trips and traveling, I haven't yet heard back from GeoVisions. Fuck. I'm starting to get a bit worried, because that's what I do best, but I figure if they don't respond soon, I'll email them asking what's up with that.
Tonight a friend is supposed to come over to watch Kill Bill II, which he hasn't even seen yet (I know, I know), so it'll be fun to watch him go ZOMG at the ending and all. Tomorrow is half price at Gen X, so I'll probably rent Barry Lyndon, since I'm in the costume piece mood, and it's been a while since I've watched some Kubrick.

No comments: