Saturday, August 22, 2009

...and I want my scalps!

First off, getting my tee shirt for TIFF was a success! Well, a success in that I had a friend of mine pick it up for me so that I wouldn't have to show ID, but a success nonetheless! I'm having some troubles finding hostels, since apparently you have to be 18 or older to stay in some of them. And so my birthday strikes again.
In other news, I saw Inglorious Basterds last night! I loved it, of course, and it's probably the best movie of the year thus far. Everyone was fantastic (Brad Pitt was absolutely hilarious), especially Christoph Waltz, who, at the very least, deserves an Oscar for his performance as Hans Landa.That said, when put in terms of Tarantino's work, I'm not sure how I feel about it. It's one thing to look at the movie as separate from his legacy, but it's quite another to compare it to his past work. As much as it felt like a Tarantino film, it also felt subdued. While the outrageous violence, the eclectic music and the quick dialogue were all there, it felt like some of the Tarantino universe was missing. Maybe it's because it was a period piece, and his usual tricks would seem out of place (and maybe even offend, considering the subject matter), but something was missing. Regardless, I'm going to see it again in a week or so, so maybe my opinion will change.

Anyway, I'm spending today catching up on some things, starting others, and just being by myself, finally. I picked up a military style jacket and a lace clutch from H&M on thursday, as well as a cream coloured blouse from Urban Outfitters. I also found Akron/Family's new album, Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free for seven bucks (!) and Dan Deacon's Bromst on vinyl for ten bucks (!!), so a good day it was.

No comments: