Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Mostly-Funny People

I didn't mention in my last post that I saw Funny People on Friday night. And as you can tell from my oh-so clever title, I'd sum up the almost three hour behemoth dramedy with a solid "meh". The first half of the film was typical hilarious Apatow fare, focusing on Seth Rogen's character. It was during the second half of the film that everything started to lag. Maybe I'm alone in this, but as great as Adam Sandler was in Funny People (and I never thought I'd be praising Adam Sandler), his storyline lost it's charm quickly. It was as though everything that was set up in the first half was put on the back burner to make room for a storyline that really didn't have a purpose. Aparently, Apatow said in an interview prior to the film's release that he wanted to make a film in which the main character doesn't change, and well, he succeeded. Congratulations? Honestly, I just wanted to see more of Jason Schwartzman and RZA.
Anyways, my weekend of solid work is over, thank god. I met up with Anna, Kylie and Michel to discuss food and booze for next week, when we head up to my trailer! I haven't been up there in almost two years, so I'm excited to return, especially sans parents!
I ran around town earlier today, returning books and movies to their respective libraries or video stores. I renewed VALIS by Phillip K Dick for another three weeks, as I didn't get around to reading it this month. I also picked up More Than Human by Theodore Sturgeon and Ella Minnow Pea by Mark Dunn, two books that have been on my must-read list for a while. And I borrowed Blade Runner, because I've made it almost eighteen years without watching it, and that's just not right.
I'm planning on going to hot yoga again tonight, because I want to get as much in this week as possible. Tomorrow, I'm off to Toronto to go to the TIFF orientation and do a little bit of shopping. I'm really, really nervous about the orientation, and I don't want to talk about it until it's over. I don't even know what I'm going to wear! I'm also slowly planning for the art sale thing on Saturday. I was just going to take some folding tables and chairs, but the more I think about it, the more elaborate I want it to be. I'm considering taking a trip down to a local used and vintage furniture warehouse and picking out a neat looking bedside or end table, and using that instead.
I could even use something like that (only a bigger version, of course) and put my photos in the drawers, and just leave them hanging open. Hmm, something to think about, at least.

No comments: